Cinco de Mayo
Get Your Fiesta Going with Hass Avocados
Like many holidays, Cinco de Mayo festivities center around food and fun, which may explain why the event has become so popular. This year, make your Cinco de Mayo celebration an occasion to embrace traditions, culture and cuisine. Learn more from our tips below and try some of our Cinco de Mayo recipes.
Festive Fiesta Tips:
- Cinco de Mayo is usually associated with bright festive colors. Use bright cloth or Mexican-style blanket as your table cloth. For a fun centerpiece take a sombrero and fill the inside brim with whole Hass Avocados, brightly colored peppers and carnations. Don't have a sombrero? Use an extra large margarita glass or glass bowl and accent with red and white candles.
- Plan ahead. Pick up produce such as avocados a couple days in advance to ensure that everything will be perfectly ripe in time for the party.
- Need a fun party activity? Ask your guests to bring their own favorite guacamole recipe to share. Your guests can vote for which dish they like best. Just be sure to have plenty of tortilla chips or fresh veggie dippers on hand.
- No Cinco de Mayo party is complete without music; salsa and mariachi music reins supreme on this festive day.
- Prepare as much as you can in advance so that you can socialize with your friends and family, and not get stuck in the kitchen.
Delicious Recipe Ideas:
- Looking for a quick and easy entrée, make soft guacamole tacos. Add your favorite guacamole to a soft tortilla, and then pile on lettuce, tomatoes and cheese. This should be served at room temperature. Or for a big fiesta try a guacamole and taco bar, provide chicken, beef, pork and potatoes for the base with all your favorite taco condiments like cheese, pico de gallo or salsa and of course plenty of Hass Avocado guacamole.
- Serve crudités-Hass Avocado style. Place carrot sticks, cauliflower florets, jicama sticks and radishes on a large platter with a bowl of creamy guacamole in the center. Try with our Guacamole Auténtico.
- Fresh avocado salsa is the perfect complement to shrimp fajitas. Simply mix a mashed avocado with your favorite salsa, and drop big scoops onto the fajitas.
- Serving different colors and varieties of salsa always brings color to table. Try serving different guacamole variations. Mash up avocado and mix with tomatoes, onions, garlic and cilantro for a traditional guacamole, or dice up avocados and mix in lemon juice, red onions and bell peppers for a citrus twist.Photo courtesy of the California Avocado Commission
- Sometimes Mexican food can have quite a kick, so be sure to keep the beverages flowing. Serve ice cold horchata (a refreshing drink made of rice, almonds, cinnamon, lime zest and sugar) and/or frozen margaritas (both with and without alcohol).
Island Ceviche Tacos Recipe
Mariachi Guacamole Recipe
Aji Amarillo Avocado Tostada Recipe
California Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe