Sensible Entertaining for a Calorie Reduced Diet Plan
Looking for simple ways to stick to a calorie-reduced menu plan and delight your guests at the same time? We have dinner party planning tips to help you and your guests stay on track with your weight management while taking advantage of all the benefits of avocados.
Try our savvy entertaining tips and Hass Avocado menu items.
Menu Savvy Preparation and Planning Ideas:
Adjust your eating schedule for the dayStart your party prep off right by adjusting your daily food schedule. If you know that you are going to be eating later in the day for your party, adjust your breakfast and lunch to a later time so that you do not feel like you are "starving" come party time. This will lower your desire to over-eat.
Snack rightHungry for a snack? Nutrient-dense foods like avocados are a great way to get more from your snack. One-fifth of a medium avocado, or about one ounce, has 50 calories and contributes nearly 20 beneficial nutrients to the diet. For a delicious treat, enjoy Fresh Hass Avocados plain or serve Mama's Homemade Guacamole with fresh vegetable sticks for dipping.
Incorporate exercise into your preparationLosing weight requires eating fewer calories than you burn off. Find ways to incorporate low impact exercise into your party planning routine.
- Set a timer - For foods that require a lot of cook time, put a timer in your pocket while they are cooking and take a few laps around your home or do standing exercises in your kitchen.
- Extend your walking time - Find ways to extend your walking while shopping for party supplies through extra aisle laps.
Rethink your table settingsConsider your menu presentation when you are planning your table settings.
- Use smaller serving utensils to encourage smaller portions and smaller plates to promote portion-size awareness.
- With larger plates guests are more likely to fill up the space on their plate with excess food. Smaller plates are filled faster and make guests more aware of how much they are consuming.
Simplify your food optionsReduce the temptation of over-eating that comes from having a large spread of food by keeping your menu options simple and your table uncluttered with tantalizing food. This will free up room for more non-edible table decorations and reduce the urge to taste everything on the table. For dessert, serve delicious diced Hass Avocados and fresh berries in a bowl.
Last Minute Meal TipsImpromptu party or last minute gathering? Be sure to keep ingredients on hand in your pantry, fridge and freezer for such occasions to eliminate the need for fast-food.
- Fruits and vegetables can be combined with chicken for a variety of last-minute dishes. Try Avocado Stuffed Chicken Breasts or Avocado and Tortilla Soup; you can prepare them in under an hour and they are well worth the additional effort.
- Fresh Hass Avocado on sandwiches or substituted as a spread in place of many other popular foods may help reduce dietary intake of calories, fat, saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol. So serve some up with a turkey sandwich or in classic guacamole for your next spontaneous gathering.
Add More to your MenuImprove on your favorite recipes by discovering new ways to substitute avocados for calorie-heavy ingredients or foods that do not provide vitamins, minerals or phytonutrients for ones that do. Try adding avocado to foods like salads, salsa, soups or sandwiches for added flavor and a rich satisfying, creamy consistency.
Food for Thought:
- Avocados contribute good fats to one's diet, providing 3g of mono and 0.5g polyunsaturated fat per 1 oz. serving.
- Avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, including 4% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for vitamin E, 4% vitamin C, 8% folate, 4% fiber, 2% iron, 4% potassium, with 81 micrograms of lutein and 19 micrograms of beta-carotene.
- Avocados act as a "nutrient booster" by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha- and beta-carotene as well as lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit.
Raspberry Avocado Salad with Honey Raspberry Vinaigrette Recipe
Roasted Garlic Avocado Pasta Recipe
California Avocado Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
Guacamole Auténtico Recipe