Avocado and Tortilla Soup Recipe
Mexican tortilla soup, and most all soup recipes for that matter, are even better with a delicious Hass Avocado topping. Savor this warm and rich tortilla soup featuring fresh avocado, queso fresco cheese, tortilla strips, and lime juice. Prepare for dinner tonight or stock up your freezer for a quick go-to-entrée. Just add the avocado and tortilla strips right before serving.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) can of tomatoes in juice, diced
- 3 pt. chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 tsp. seasoned salt with red pepper
- frying oil
- 10 corn tortillas (day old) cut in strips
- 2 ripe, Fresh Hass Avocados, peeled, seeded and cubed or sliced
- 2 cups queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- 2 limes, quartered
- In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in oil 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is transparent.
- Place sautéed onion and garlic mixture with tomatoes in juice in a blender and blend for 30 to 45 seconds.
- In a stockpot combine puree mixture, chicken broth, cilantro, and seasoned salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2-inch oil in a small saucepan.
- When hot, add tortilla strips a few at a time and fry, turn at least once; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil with tongs. Drain on paper towels.
- Place equal portions of cooked tortilla strips in shallow soup bowls.
- Ladle hot soup over, garnish with avocado, cheese and lime juice to taste.
Try with a glass of Rioja red wine or a hearty beer.
You Might Also Enjoy
Printed from LoveOneToday.com on