Fresh Avocado and Fried Green Tomato Sandwich Recipe
This open-faced avocado sandwich layers mashed avocado, zesty lemon mayonnaise, watercress salad, and southern-style fried green tomatoes all in one savory sandwich recipe.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Joshua Linton, Ajasteak, Chicago, IL
Recipe is designed for foodservice use and is not intended for consumer scaling of less than 12 servings.
- 6 ripe, Fresh Hass Avocados*, sliced and seasoned with kosher salt and lime to taste
- 6 ripe, Fresh Hass Avocados*, coarsely mashed and seasoned with kosher salt and lime to taste
- 12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 12 Tbsp. Lemon Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
- 24 slices Fried Green Tomatoes (recipe follows)
- 2 Tbsp. Sherry Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 6 oz. Watercress Salad (recipe follows)
- 24 Tbsp. Creamy Peekytoe Crab Salad (recipe follows)
- As needed, micro greens for garnish
Lemon Mayonnaise - Yield: 1 3/8 Cups
- 6 oz. mayonnaise
- 3 oz. sour cream
- 1 each lemon, zested, zest chopped fine
- 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt to taste
Fried Green Tomato - Yield: 24 pieces
- 6 each large green tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds, 24 slices
- Kosher salt as needed
- 9 Tbsp. corn meal, finely ground
- 9 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- As needed, canola oil for frying
Sherry Vinaigrette - Yield: 1/2 Cup
- 2 oz. sherry vinegar
- 2 oz. grapeseed oil
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
Watercress Salad - Yield: 6 oz.
- 6 oz. watercress, de-stemmed
- 2 Tbsp. Sherry Vinaigrette
Creamy Peekytoe Crab Salad - Yield: 2 1/4 Cups
- 1 1⁄2 oz. sour cream
- 5 oz. mayonnaise
- 1 oz. whole grain mustard
- 1⁄8 tsp. celery seed, toasted, crushed
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1⁄3 oz. chives, minced
- 1⁄3 oz. cilantro, chiffonade
- 10 oz. Peekytoe crab, cleaned, picked
- Per Order (one serving)
Top a slice of toast with 1 Tbsp. Lemon Mayonnaise.
- Top with 1/2 of a coarsely mashed Fresh Hass Avocado, about 2 1/2 oz.
- Top with 1/2 a sliced Fresh Hass Avocado.
- Top with 2 slices hot Fried Green Tomatoes.
- Top with .5 ounce Watercress Salad.
- Top with 2 Tbsp. Creamy Peekytoe Crab Salad.
- Top with micro greens as needed for garnish.
- Beat together all ingredients.
- Lay slices of tomato onto absorbent paper and lightly salt on both sides. Allow tomato to sit for one hour at room temperature. Then dry off surface moisture.
- Combine corn meal, flour and salt together.
- Coat tomatoes in corn meal/flour mixture then egg and then corn meal/flour mixture again.
- Deep fry at 375 degrees F until golden brown and crisp.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until homogenous.
- As needed, toss together 1/2 oz. watercress with 1/2 tsp. sherry vinaigrette.
- Combine all ingredients except for the crab in a bowl and blend well.
- Fold in crabmeat gently.
You Might Also Enjoy
Printed from AvocadoCentral.com on