Hass Avocado Tempura Recipe
Love tempura? Make your own tempura recipe at home using basic ingredients in your baking drawer! Creamy avocado with a light and crispy tempura batter make this a
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup cold water
- canola oil
- 2 ripe, Fresh Hass Avocados, seeded and peeled
- Whisk all of the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and water.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg and water and mix. The batter will be a little lumpy.
- Fill a sauté pan with enough canola oil for deep frying (avocado slices should be able to be completely submerged in oil in the pan.) Heat the canola oil to 375 degrees F. (If you don’t have a thermometer, you can tell when the oil is ready by dropping a 1” cube of white bread into the pan - at the right temperature, the oil should brown the bread in 60 seconds.)
- Halve the avocados and slice each half lengthwise into 4 slices.
- Lightly coat the avocado slices in a little flour and then dip them into the tempura batter. Using tongs, carefully place the avocado slices into the hot oil and fry until they are golden.
- Remove the avocado slices from the oil and drain them on a paper towel. Salt, to taste.
- Serve warm with a simple dipping sauce of mayonnaise with a little lemon juice added, to taste.
Printed from AvocadoCentral.com on