Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie topped with Avocado Mashed Potatoes Recipe
This vegetarian version of the traditional Shepherd's pie is filled with creamy vegetables and topped with a rich avocado mashed potatoâ€”you won't even miss the meat!
Recipe developed by Chef Matthew Murphy - New Orleans
- 2 oz. butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 oz. flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cups cream
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 oz. parsnips, chopped
- 1 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 oz. Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 small cauliflower florets, chopped
- 1 oz. fresh spinach, chopped
- 1⁄4 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, ground
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped and boiled
- 1 ripe, Fresh Hass Avocado
- 1 oz. sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onions and garlic in half of the butter until translucent.
- Stir in flour.
- Reduce heat and slowly stir in the white wine and then the cream.
- Fold in the carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, spinach, bay leaf and thyme.
- Pour into a buttered baking dish leaving about 1-inch to the top.
- Mash the boiled potatoes with the rest of the butter, avocado and sour cream.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the vegetables and bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degrees F oven.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and brown for another 4 minutes.
You Might Also Enjoy
Printed from AvocadoCentral.com on